Friday, July 23, 2010

Best Sandwich Bread Ever


I was once a lover of whole grain, fiber-packed sandwich bread. The grainy texture and durable slices formed around delicious cheeses, meats, and sauces to make my lunch. After I joined the celiac club, I tried, and loved, Udi's sandwich brad. If you have ever tried it, it's satisfying, yet kind of empty. By empty, I mean it tastes like it has no nutritional value.

I have been baking this recipe almost every week. It's quick, it's easy to change, and husband-approved. The book Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone is fantastic, uses mostly rice flours, and has yet to disappoint me. If you have ever baked gluten-free, you know how special that is.

Wet Ingredients
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Dry Ingredients
2 1/2 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup instant NF dry milk
1 tbs xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
**I add a heap of ground flax seed & Italian herbs grown by my BFF

Lightly grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine water and yeast

In a mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add yeast mixture, oil, and eggs. Let mixer go on medium speed for 5 minutes.

Pour batter into greased pan, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and leave alone for 60 minutes.

Bake (without plastic wrap!) for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. I recommend letting the loaf cool overnight before slicing it. It's best, in my opinion, when toasted. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment