Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Anthony's GF Menu

Nothing is more welcoming at a restaurant than a gluten-free menu. It generally implies the staff will now how to take care of you and not respond with "there's no bread in your meal, it's fine!" One of the most difficult aspects of having celiac for me has been having to ask waiters a multitude of questions and hoping they understand the importance of my requests. I'm worried they will think I am fussy, picky, or just another one of those diet-crazed young women. Personally, I think allergy and food sensitivity should be a required part of the training needed for getting food handler's permits. While you're at it - please do not mock me when you bring my plate out in front of everyone I'm dining with. Discrete is the name of the game.

On a recent Google search for gluten-free restaurants in the Seattle area, I found Anthony's HomePort at Shilshole offers a GF menu! So last night my dad and I went to test it out. We sat on the outside deck, lined with beautiful plants and flowers, overlooking the water. Every few minutes we could see salmon leaping out of the water, which made us all the more eager to eat. The GF menu was not bad. I feel a little guilty complaining about a menu they didn't have to offer in the first place, because I am incredibly grateful when restaurants do! The appetizers were not appetizing to me...clams, mussels, etc. No thanks. On to the dinner menu - only a few main dishes including steak, prawns, crab and melon salad. Where is the salmon? Halibut? I glanced at my dad's menu and saw multiple listings of these fish that made my mouth water, but how was I to know if I was allowed to eat them or not? I will note our server was wonderful; she made recommendations, knew what I could not have, and did not mock any of my questions. I ordered a spinach salad (with four berries none the less) and used simply olive oil and vinegar as a dressing. My dinner of choice was the garlic prawns - a tad too buttery but still good, fresh green beans, and some sort of rice pilaf that I wanted a bucket of to take home with me. I kid you not, the pilaf was amazing. I sprinkled lemon on everything, which made for a nice summery flavor to compliment the warm Seattle sun. For dessert we split the creme brulee and fresh berries - completely satisfying. I'll give this meal a B, but the experience an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment